Before beginning the application process, you must read the list of FAQs about the 2018 AIR Program and application process, found here
. The first step of the application is to initial that you have read this document.
As a reference, current iterations of the AIR Program Handbook and Community Partner Directory can be found here
*Please note that these are working documents and are subject to change annually
In 2014, the Joan Mitchell Center launched the New Orleans Local Artist Studio Program, making a deep impact in the local landscape with emerging artists creating sustainability plans. In 2018, the Joan Mitchell Center will engage in a local open call based on the following criteria:
- Must identify as a visual artist and showcase a portfolio of work with a serious commitment to a studio or artistic practice.
- Must have lived in New Orleans as the primary residence for at least 7 years or be a New Orleans native.
- Must be willing to participate in the Professional Development throughout the residency.
- Must submit 1 letter of reference. Share THIS LINK with your recommender. We recommend copying and saving the link before moving forward.
- Must communicate a need to participate in this residency and show it will impact your career.
The following information is required to complete your application:
1. Video: upload a (60) sixty second video introducing yourself. Explain why this residency is important in your career right now. Tell us something about yourself that we may not have gotten from your written application. Video submission formats include: .mp4, .mov, .avi. Videos can be filmed via cell phone, iPad, or personal computer. Please note that all videos will be streamed up to 60 seconds and then cut off; do not submit longer videos. Remember to test your video prior to uploading.
2. Current CV or Resume (PDF format)
3. Artist Statement (1000 words maximum; PDF format)
4. One Letter of Recommendation. (LINK HERE
5. Proof of residence. Driver's license, utility bill and/or rental agreement.
6. Work Samples: submit up to eight (8) examples of current work that best reflect what you might undertake while in residence. Image submissions can include detail shots, as well as various angles of a single piece. All digital images should be high quality images, not to exceed 1 MB in size. All files must be labeled with artist's last name, followed by a first initial and number 1-8 (example: LastName_FirstInitial_Image1). Digital image files and PDF format accepted.
7. Image list. Include title, year, materials, and dimensions for each submitted work.
If all necessary materials are not submitted by the application deadline, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be eligible for jury review.
The deadline to apply is June 5, 2017 at 5pm CST.